Before Will and I moved to Tennessee, I made a list of my favorite places and things we did in Jacksonville. We lived in the beaches area for a year and a half and made a lot of great memories with family and friends there. Whether you are a new resident or just visiting, there’s something for everyone on this list.
FOOD / DRINK
- TacoLu // Tacos are a must, try the Grilled Mahi and the Bangin’ Shrimp tacos
- Zeta Brewing Co. // Great beer, food and atmosphere near the beach
- The Brix Taphouse // Good spot for nightlife with live music or a DJ most weekends
- Milano’s on Kernan // This was right around the corner from our condo, go on Thursday for $1 Pizza Night and try the Long Island Iced Tea – the strongest we’ve ever had!
- Safe Harbor Seafood Market and Restaurant // Mayport is where the best seafood in town is caught and you can go right to the source by shopping and eating at Safe Harbor. Sit inside or outside with an incredible view of the water.
- Bold Bean Coffee Roasters // I usually went to Starbucks to work, but I found this local coffee brewer in Ponte Vedra before moving and loved it – great coffee served in ceramic mugs and nice atmosphere
- MOJO Kitchen // Great local BBQ and live music
- Shim Sham Room // A speakeasy style cocktail lounge in Jacksonville Beach
- Culhane’s Irish Pub // We were addicted to the chicken tenders here – so crispy!
- Beaches Town Center // I love this whole street for their unique shops and galleries
- Bluetique North Florida // This is a curated boutique by Goodwill, great spot to shop for quality secondhand clothing and accessories, including many new items
- Beaches Green Market // This farm market is every Saturday in the beaches area – purchase local honey, maple syrup, fruits and veggies, seafood, and Kenyan grown coffee
- St. John’s Town Center
- Historic Downtown Fernandina Beach // So many cute local shops and restaurants on Centre Street, including antiques, upscale clothing, candy makers, etc – it’s so worth the drive!
- North Beaches Art Walk // This art walk was the first event I ever attended at the beaches and I loved walking around shopping local arts and crafts
- Jacksonville Downtown Art Walk // Much like above, but downtown with live music too
- Driftwood Jacksonville Beach // A family friend co-owns this shop, full of unique coastal finds from Florida artists
- One Spark Festival // This festival started in Jacksonville and is now known as “The World’s Largest Crowdfunding Festival” for all types of projects, including the arts
- Atlantic Beach // Our favorite spot to hang on the beach and bring our dog. Dogs are allowed on this beach all day, unlike Jax Beach (which is before 8am, after 5pm)
- The Golf Club of Amelia Island // This was about 40 minutes from where we lived, but it’s a scenic drive once you get off the highway and the course is beautiful
- TPC Sawgrass // Will golfed here with his work buddies and it was his favorite of all the courses in town – it’s a pro course so it makes sense! He also went with his sister to The Players Championship tournament
- Adventure Landing // We went here for the put-put golf and arcade games, but it is mainly a water park in the summer and they have ice skating in winter. Live alligators hang out near the entrance (it’s a fenced-in habitat, of course!)
HEALTH / BEAUTY
- Hawthorn Salon // the coolest salon in town, I just love their branding and decorations. I highly recommend Corrine and Chelsea for cut and color
- Baptist Primary Care // Dr. Michael Kring took care of me when I broke my toes – he asked about my exercise habits and made sure I knew what I could still do with my injury. Being healthy starts with exercise, so I appreciated his holistic views on medicine.
- A1A Family Eyecare
- Pooches Playhouse // A fun little doggie daycare / boarding place near the beaches, Cody loved it there
- The Pet Concierge // Mary was a wonderful dog walker (I can’t find her website, email me for contact info)
- Fuzzybutz Dog Day Spa // We took Cody here for grooming, she always did a great job
- San Pablo Animal Hospital
Your turn: Have you been to Jacksonville and have a favorite spot I didn’t mention? Tell us about it in the comments!